So, I was at a potluck the other night, checking out all the food, since…you know, that’s what you do at a potluck. What a feast for the senses! It’s so fun to get a glimpse of what everyone’s tastes are. What everyone thinks is special enough to serve to their friends. I love it 🙂 Out of all the 20 or so dishes present, this one completely took me off guard. I walked by and looked, looked again, and said to myself, “Is that salad almost 80% Doritos??” It was not a mirage, it was real. And unlike a mirage, this salad did not disappoint. Just the novelty of eating Doritos with a fork, with so many fresh ingredients was a blast! I went back for thirds and I’m not ashamed to admit it.
My friend Karie brought this Dorito Taco Salad, and she inherited the recipe from her aunt. So, I need to thoroughly thank Karie and her aunt, whom I’ve never met, but its lovely to feel like I’ve gotten to know her just a bit through her delicious potluck-perfect masterpiece. This looks like the perfect thing to take to a summertime event, no?
Some things to consider!
You may want to add more or less Dorothy Lynch depending on your taste. I’m one that tends to go a little lighter with my dressing, but that’s just me. Half a cup is probably minimum, but add whatever amount you think you need.
Also, I think you need the onions inside the salad to cut some of the tangy dressing flavor, but again, I know there are many (ahem, Scott) that can’t abide raw onions in things, if that’s you, just leave the onions out and serve them on the side. You could swap in a little squeeze of lime juice instead, but I didn’t try that IRL, so if you try it, let me know how you like it!
You will need…
- 1 lb hamburger
- 2 TBS taco seasoning
- 1 head romaine or iceburg lettuce, chopped
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1 sliced red, yellow, or green bell pepper
- One 4 oz. can sliced black olives
- ½ cup diced purple onions, plus more for garnish
- 1 ½-2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Dorothy Lynch salad dressing (or similar)
- 4-5 oz. crushed Doritos
- ½ cup fresh cilantro for garnish
- Brown the hamburger in a skillet, drain and add taco seasoning. Allow to cool to room temperature. Set aside.
- Chop the lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, and onion, add to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Drain the olives and add to the lettuce mixture along with the grated cheese.
- Add the taco meat mixture, gently stirring until combined. Gradually add in the Dorothy Lynch dressing, and stir until all the ingredients are evenly coated. Add more or less dressing to your taste.
- Just before serving, crush half a 9 oz bag of Doritos or Fritos, and add to the salad.
- Garnish with an extra sprinkle of diced onions and fresh cilantro. Ole!
Here’s a printable!