Hearty, and pretty quick and easy for a weeknight, especially if you use canned biscuits. Might I suggest you give my Tall, Flakey, Sexy Biscuit recipe a try? You will need…
● 2 lbs country sausage
● 3 cups chopped curly kale
● 2 cups cubed squash (butternut or acorn)
● 1 cup chopped vidalia onion
● 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
● 1 TBS flour
● ¾ tsp crushed red pepper
● ½ tsp black pepper
● 1 package canned or homemade biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Brown the sausage in a large skillet, remove with a slotted spoon reserving the drippings in the pan.
- Add the chopped onion to the drippings and cook until softened, about five minutes.
- Sprinkle the onion with the flour, coating the onions and cooking the flour for about two minutes.
- Add in the broth, stir, and allow to thicken slightly.
- Add in the the squash and crushed red pepper, cover, stirring occasionally, for about 5-10 minutes, until the squash is softened slightly.
- Add in the sausage and kale, and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×13 baking dish and cover the top with biscuits, nestling them down into the sausage mixture slightly.
- Brush the tops of the biscuit with a beaten egg, and sprinkle some extra black pepper over the tops. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the biscuits are cooked through and the squash is tender!